In a previous post I mentioned that I didn’t like any frozen veggie burgers, but I recently found one that I like – the veggie burgers by Morning Star are amazing! The reason I love them so much is because they don’t try to be a burger. Morning Star seems to realize that veggie burgers are not meat and therefore will never taste like meat – and from this they have created a delicious, and satisfying, veggie burger. Side note: I cooked mine on my new panini grill and if you don’t have access to an actual grill I definitely recommend purchasing one, they are very handy! I have the one made by Sunbeam and not only does it work great but it’s also super easy to use.
Let me preface this by saying I really don’t like cupcakes, or cake, or even pie for that matter. However, while in Manhattan the other day, my boyfriend and I thought it would be fun to sit in Central Park and eat a cupcake in honor of my birthday coming up- and what a good idea! It was a beautiful day and this was the most delicious cupcake I’ve ever eaten! I definitely recommend it if you’re in the area.
Between school, work, and friends it’s hard to find time to cook and that too often means sacrificing eating healthy. However I’ve recently found (and became obsessed with) the vegetable dumplings and vegetable spring rolls from Whole Foods. I know these aren’t the healthiest option out there but they are better than grabbing a bagel or slice of pizza which I usually opt for when I”m in a hurry. The dumplings are 4.99 and although it says to heat them up I always eat them cold and they are just as good! They also have chicken and pork dumplings for non-vegetarians :).
If I’m feeling really hungry I also grab vegetable spring rolls which are also 4.99 and they come with a delicious and light dipping sauce! Next time you’re in Whole Foods and looking for a quick snack or meal, consider trying these out! The dumplings can be found near the sushi and the spring rolls are where the other quick to-go food is by the drinks.
A big question I get about being vegetarian is whether I not I miss eating meat or not. Overall the answer to that question is “no”. However, I do get rare cravings for one particular item: chicken nuggets. Luckily for me, supermarkets carry meat substitutes that are tasty and satisfying. Here are my recommendations of my favorite meatless meat items!
1. Quorn chicken nuggets. I have tried a few different brands of fake chicken and this is by far the best, especially if you take the time to put them in the oven! ( I also love this brands chicken cutlets, they have one with cheese underneath the crust mm!)
2. Quorn Meatballs. Okay, so I really like this brand. I was really hesitant to try meat free meatballs but to my surprise they were delicious! I literally couldn’t stop eating them and they are a great addition to a quick pasta!
3. Lightlife Smartdogs. Veggie hotdogs sound gross, I know, but trust me they are great! They are my favorite thing to bring to barbeques when everyone else is eating hamburgers and real hotdogs. A few of my (very against being vegetarian) guy friends have tried these and approved (secretly of course haha).
4. Smashburger’s Veggie burger. So I know this isn’t a do it yourself one but I have tried a lot of veggie burgers from a lot of different places and I have to say that this is my favorite. The best part is that it’s customizable. I like mine with avocados!
5. EVOL burritos. These are delicious and quick! Make sure you pick up one that’s labeled vegetarian or vegan.
Do you have any favorite vegetarian/vegan items?
The other day I traveled into the city with a friend who was looking for some cool spots to take photos for class. We (accidentally) ended up near Chelsea Market and The High Line. I have been to The High Line once before and I loved it, but this time it was a little too cold to be up there. However, once it’s warmer I definitely recommend it! It’s this old railroad that they have converted into a beautiful walkway filled with great views of the city and lovely gardens. After that we explored Chelsea Market for a bit and it was amazing! I can’t believe I haven’t been here before. You walk in and it’s almost like you’re in another world. I wish I had taken more pictures but I will definitely be going back, so that’s okay. Anyways, if you haven’t been here and you are looking to kill some time you should check it out. There are restaurants, small shops, and just a lot of people watching! I was really excited when I saw a place that made crepes (my guilty pleasure)! I got nutella and banana yum!