August 2016 archive
The first time I stepped into a Trader Joe’s store I felt lost. I was enticed by the beachy theme and overall feel of the place, but I had absolutely no idea where anything was. I ended up wandering the store for thirty minutes and leaving empty-handed because the odd cashier setup was too intimidating. Thankfully, I have overcome my fear of the unknown and I am now a weekly shopper at Trader Joe’s (applause).
So, without further ado – my Trader Joe’s Shopping list:
1. Quinoa Bread –Quinoa bread is softer than wheat or multigrain, and healthier than white bread – just toast, add a little (vegan) butter and it’s the perfect before-work breakfast!
2. Tofu Edamame Nuggets (or as I like to call them, ficken nuggets) – When I first became vegetarian I frequently bought, and relied on, fake meat. Fake meat is good for the transition period from carnivore to vegetarian, but it shouldn’t be included in your daily meal plan – it’s too processed. While Trader Joe’s Tofu Edamame Nuggets only have a slightly better score on Fooducate than my old go-to (Quorn Chik’n nuggets), they taste a lot better, and I love that you can see the edamame when you bite into it.
3.. Organic Brown Rice Quinoa Fuselli Pasta (also available as spaghetti pasta) – My older brother is a chef, so I like to say that he got all of the “cooking genes”. He can make an amazing meal with whatever he can find in the kitchen, while I will follow a recipe step-by-step, only to throw it out and order a pizza. That being said, pasta is usually my go-to meal, so making organic brown rice quinoa pasta (try saying that ten times fast!) makes me feel a bit less guilty about all of the carbs.
4. Spanakopita – While I can’t even begin to pronounce this, it’s delicious, easy to make, and high in vitamin A!
5. Chocolate Ice Cream (made with coconut milk) – I try my best to stay away from dairy (keyword: try) this is a great vegan alternative to my absolute favorite food!
6. Trader Giotto’s Kale, Sweet Potato, and Butternut Squash Pizza – I never would have thought to pick something like this up, but when a kind lady offers you a free taste of it (yay free samples!) you gladly accept…and then promptly buy four pies to bring home. Trust me on this one, you won’t be sorry you tried it out!
7. EnviroKidz Chocolate Choco Chimps Cereal – Yes, these are for kids, but I loveee them. They taste just like Coco Puffs, but without all of the milk and sugar – not only are these vegan and gluten free, but they are also created by a company committed to sustainability and healthy eating (1% of EnviroKidz sales goes to helping the planet).
8. Pizza “burgers” – Okay so I really like pizza (hence my hesitance to go vegan). I picked these up in a rush on my way to a bbq and they quickly made it on to my list of favorites!
9. Soycutash – Sweet corn, shelled edamame, and red peppers! Delicious and a high score on Fooducate (yess!). This is meant to be eaten warm, but try it cold (it’s much better). Heat it as instructed, leave it in the refrigerator for a few hours, and then enjoy!
and don’t forget that special dog in your life..
10. Chicken Recipe Jerky Strips – My dog is very picky when it comes to dog treats (that may or may not be because we fed her human food since she was a puppy), but she goes crazy for these jerky strips! At only only 1.99, it’s easy to pick a bag up every time I shop at Trader Joe’s.
What’s on your Trader Joe’s Shopping list?